1.11.2009

Yet another hockey diatribe

Recently, my mother walked into my room and gawked, not because I finally cleaned it, but because of a picture I had hanging. Amid pictures of friends and collages, there was a picture she found objectionable. I couldn't figure out what she was so upset about, the most offensive thing, I thought, hanging on my wall was a picture of Sid Vicious popping a pimple, but that's just gross.
Mom found a picture ripped from People's Most Beautiful People issue from like 2006 objectionable. It was a black and white photo of Sean Avery, showing off his lip scar. For once in his life, he was doing nothing offensive, so I was left scratching my head.
My mother, however, was offended that such a crude man could be adorning my wall. In her eyes, this man was inhuman, and base because of his comments (sorry, I know the link is Fox "News" but it was the first one I found) off the ice.
Honestly, I don't watch hockey for their off-ice persona. I watch hockey for the game, my favorite part of the game is the brutal beatings, something Avery excels at often. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't condone all behavior, hello I'm talking to you Ray Lewis , but for stupid comments like Avery, oh please. That's nothing worse than school yard chatter, everyone bashes each other on the ice, he just took it off the ice.
Back to cleaning!!!

No comments: