5.21.2008

Anarchy in the UK

Because I don't feel like writing about what's going on in my life, I'm going to write about something, someone told me. Now, I have no idea who said it, but I do remember being to tired to argue with them. This person was making a comment about the Sex Pistols, and how they are "nothing more than a boy band put together to cash in on the punk movement in England". To that person, I say this:

The Sex Pistols may be a boy band, they might make horrible music, and not actually understand anything they are singing about, but I really don't give a damn. If you were old enough to remember most of the 90's, and all of you are, you will remember this awesome phase that Lou Pearlman brought about, the boy bands. Sure it was boy band redux, but it still was something different for us 8 year old girls to scream about. The only problem was at 8, I was consumed with Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and Pachelbel, I was a ballerina at the time and refused to really look outside the classics. Sure, I knew of the Backstreet Boys, N*SYNC, 98* and all that jazz, it was hard not to, they were akin to what Fergie is today. There was no getting around them, I just never really got into them. It was like I missed my chance at the boy band wagon. The 70's had the Sex Pistols, the 80's had New Kids On the Block, and the 90's had all those other bands, I just happened to latch on to the Sex Pistols. Honestly, would you really rather listen to pre-pubescent voices singing about "hangin' tough"? I didn't think so. Deal with the fact that I like the Sex Pistols, they are on my head phones, I don't force you to listen to them.

Good night!

1 comment:

Jeff Kowalski said...

Uh... The Sex Pistols aren't a boy band in any sense of the term. Like, not even a little. They emerged the year after The Ramones. They were four guys who played music and decided to start a band. Whoever said they were a cash-in or a boy band is stupid. England sucked back then, all the music out of there from the 60's to the 90's was in response.