5.30.2008

Been a long time since I rock and rolled

Ohio. What a state, at least I get to check it off my list of states I want to see (that list includes all 50 of them if you were wondering). This trip happened to be my first venture to the midwest, for the most part I've stuck to the east coast, and a few in the south(west) and west. The midwest is an interesting place. Our home base was Cleveland, which basically means it was where we spent most of our nights.

For some reason we all agreed that the best way to do this was to get to Ohio as quickly as possible. We stopped once in Snow Shoe, Pennsylvania and then once at a truck stop in Ohio. Let's just say this was an interesting experience. If you were so lucky to spend at least $100 on gas, you were entitled to a free shower. Yes, that's right, shower. We did spend nearly enough on gas that stop to get to partake in this reward system, however, there were plenty of people there who could easily spend that much.

Once arriving to Cleveland, after a grand total of 7.5 hours in the car, we got the genius idea to go see the Cleveland Indians play the Texas Rangers. Now I like baseball, but I like it when I can fall asleep on the couch, change channels for a bit, and, oh yeah, actually give a crap about the teams playing. None of those things were happening, so clearly I was bored at the game. Oh and it was 48 degrees that night.

The next day was our trip to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I want to live there. Everything on display was fascinating and throughly enjoyable. I almost fell over when I got to see David Bowie's Think White Duke costume. It was rocking. I live for music like that and to see everything I've ever dreamed about was surreal. I wish I went with people who appreciated music more, but I'll save that for another post.

Oh yeah and downtown Cleveland? Totally creepy! It looked like the set of 28 Weeks Later. No one was there. Cleveland is always billed as a city, but with a population that only reaches a half million, there's nothing going on. Rush hour on a Friday night, I was dancing in the middle of the street with one car going by every 5 minutes or so. It was so weird.

Saturday night we hopped in the car and headed an hour north to Sandusky, Ohio, home to Cedar Point amusement park. Famous for it's roller coasters! It was awesome fun, like Disney but cleaner and no characters. I managed not to get burned or tan, so I was throughly happy. That night we went swimming in Lake Erie. What a fun time that was. If I didn't know better I would have thought I was in the ocean. It was just like Wildwood, little baby waves, freezing as hell, and you couldn't see your feet. Tons of fun but a little gross after a while.


Monday, if your confused Saturday we drove to Sandusky, Sunday we went to the park, we drove south to Canton where we visited the Pro Football Hall of Fame. That place was pretty sweet. I got to see the Vince Lombardi Trophy, I don't know if it was the real one (probably not), but its the closest I'll ever get to it. The Super Bowl Rings were on display, along with tons of old stuff from Knute's time. I had fun but everyone needed forever to look at everything, while I read everything rather quickly. Some of the newer stuff I stuck on longer, but the older stuff, I already knew thanks to DeSalvo's class. It was like a giant review to me.

Monday night we headed back to Cleveland, just in time to find tickets to the Indians versus the White Sox. Monday night, my feelings were still the same about baseball as they were Friday night.

All in all it was a fun trip.

Oh one last thing, one of the nights we were in Cleveland, I forget they really all started to blend together after a while, something funny happened. We were in search of food, but everything was shut down. At like 7:30 at night, bars were closing up! Finally we found this Irish pub, well as close Irish as you can get in Ohio. We were exhausted and silence as we were being seated by the hostess, when all of a sudden we heard a voice from the table over, "Oh god, they're New Yorkers!". Now, nothing had been said to the waitress but "thank you" from my mother who has no accent. My father, brother and I all have heavy NJ accents, but we were too tired and hungry to say anything, so we couldn't have given anything away. Our clothing was plain, my brother had an Indiana University tee shirt on, my father had on a Key West tee shirt, my mother had a plain black shirt on, and I had my Ramones tee shirt on, so nothing screamed NY/NJ. I want to know how the fuck she figured it out. What, NJ/NY has a distinct smell, smile, or look of exhaustion? The best part of the story, after 2 minutes of sitting next to us, we were still silent, she demanded her bill and promptly left. Geez, I guess she can't even stand to be near people from the area.

Whatever, now that I have serious cramps in my hand from typing, I'm going to relax with the herd.

No comments: