5.14.2008

Just for a moment I was back in school, and felt that old familar pain...

I'm a big believer in fate, just not the kind you see in movie. To me, it is the movies, and totally fake. However, today while moving back home, I witnessed first hand a cheesy, only seen in the movies type fate. Traffic on 18 was horrible, so my parents decided to cut through campus and get on to Route 1 on the other side. On our way over, my father decided to drive up Suydam Ave, right past my mother's old dorm, Jameson. As we drove by, he noticed the door was propped open and nobody was around. Stopping the car like we were in the movies, and the running across the street, my mother and I clamored to relive the best four years of her life. After wandering around the living room and basement, my mother took me upstairs to just look around. The place was fairly empty, since the dorms close 10am tomorrow, so no one seemed to mind that we were there. The build was beautiful, but it was hard to tell what anything looked like because it was just hallways. Finally we reached my mother's old room, 202. It was open. The only room in the entire building, the one we wanted to see, was open. It was the heavens wanted me to see what my mother's room was like. Sure, it was like every other dorm room, but just for a moment, my mother and I were both 18. We were giddy and happy, and life was perfect.

It was a great moment, something totally worth that half hour detour. I'm sure most of you think I'm crazy, but to me it was the world.

No comments: