4.07.2008

You can't start a fire without a spark....

I lost my post it note that reminds me to blog, so sorry for the delay all 3 of you that read my blog.

This weekend I saw Zipperface, twice, and it was hilarious. Right down to the little Hair reference at the end of the one scene. I'm so going back next weekend.

I hate Jagr, just needed to say that. No more hockey today, little pissed at the fact that they lost against the Devils, after beating them 7 other times this season.

This summer I'll be back at AAA, oh joy! Oh rapture (that should be read with heavy sarcasm)! Its a very boring job with nothing to do but bug my coworkers, not really my kind of fun.

As of last night, I have seen Empire Records 30 times in the past month. My life is sad.

This militant bitch in one of my classes, who was so pro-education that she scared the shit out of me, announced today that she was dropping out of school and going to work at her local bank branch because school was boring her. Is it possible to have a midlife crisis at 18 (or maybe she's 19, I really didn't care) and not die at 36? Who knows...

Okay, now to the point of this entry. The other day in class we were discussing defining moments in people's lives. How one act, whether positive or negative, could solidify you and your entire existence. This ended up scaring the crap out of me. Let me elaborate.

The two examples given were bland and really didn't affect me much, however there are a few out there that do make me worry.

Case #1: Orenthal James "O. J." Simpson, he is known to my generation as the man that got away with murder. Who knows if he did or didn't commit those crimes, that's not the purpose of me discussing him. Prior to 1994, OJ Simpson was known for so many accomplishments. From 1969-1979, he had a remarkable career as a running back for the Buffalo Bills and the San Francisco 49ers. After Simpson's retirement, he went on to broadcasting, commercials, his own production company, acting gigs, hosting Saturday Night Live, and being part of the Naked Gun trilogy with Leslie Nealson. All of these things are now null and void. You ask any teenage who OJ Simpson is, the majority of them will respond with that guy with the white Bronco who killed his wife and friend. Now, I'm not saying he deserves sympathy, but that one act wiped his slate clear, making him remembered only for his life post-1994.

Case #2: William Joseph "Bill" Buckner, the man who helped the Red Sox continue their curse. This was the man who let a little ground ball to first base roll through his legs, allowing Mookie Wilson to get on first and a runner to score, forcing the Red Sox and Mets to go to game 7, in which the Mets defeated Boston. Every time Buckner is brought up, people cringe at his memory, but this is so inaccurate. This man's accomplishments in the game of baseball are, well, impressive:
  • National League pennant: 1974
  • American League pennant: 1986
  • All-Star (NL): 1981
  • Led National League in batting average (.324) in 1980
  • Led National League in At Bats per Strikeout in 1980 (32.1), 1982 (25.3), 1985 (18.7) and 1986 (25.2)
  • Led National League in Doubles in 1981 (35) and 1983 (38)
  • Led National League in At Bats (657) and Singles (147) in 1982
These are just some of his accomplishments, that no one ever remembers! One little mistake of not dropping the glove low enough, and look what happens.

Case #3: Michael Joseph Jackson, The Gloved One. Sure, I can't stand his music, but you have to admit, he was very influential. He helped shape the music of the 70's, 80's and 90's. Not many musicians can say that and not even be 50. There really is not point in elaborating of what he is now famous for instead of his music. I only added him because my first two examples are sports based, and not everyone is a passionate about that topic as I am.

But the point of all this is that these men did so many things in their lives, but are now remembered, for embarrassing or incriminating actions. Who's to say we are immune to this fate? Will I be remembered at a sarcastic, negative bitch, or will I be remembered for something worse? Do I have a chance of being known for good rather than evil? It's too much stress to think about something like that, because there is nothing you can do to change it. Life is life, so many times you can't predict outcomes because there are so many other variables.

Time for sleep...

No comments: