3.06.2008

Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world....

On my way to math, I realized that everyone is listening to music. CD players, iPods, mp3 players, whatever it was, people had it and they were using them. But the strange thing was the people themselves. They were just there, passively listening to their music. Isn't the purpose of music to entertain? People looked miserable! Granted, this was the LX, and who really wants to be on that bus, but still. I hear the opening chords to so many songs and I can't help but smile, air guitar, or hum along. I know I'm not the only one that does that! Why do the bus rides have to be so blah? Smiling and head bobbing might actually make you forget just for a moment that you're headed to class. Alright, maybe that last statement was a stretch, but it could happen. Right?

I apparently have horrible taste in music. I was informed that my taste in music is on par with a 15 year old boy. I don't see it though. I prefer music of the past, classic rock, southern rock, cheesy arena rock, and 70's/80's punk. Sure, I have my guilty pleasures, but that's what they are, guilty pleasures! My taste offends a ton of people too. I rather listen to AC/DC, REM, The Pouges, Jimmy Buffett over the Beatles. I can't stand the Beatles! I understand that they, along with Elvis, revolutionized rock and roll. I realized that without them, music would be completely different. But I don't like them! Their voices are so annoying, but the music, the instruments, well, they are impressive. I don't know why I don't like them, maybe it is because I was raised on Springsteen's Nebraska album, Nirvana's Lithium tape, and select songs by Ronnie Milsap.

This rant brought to you by boredom in Topics of Math for the Liberal Arts Majors.

**
The title song is an example of music that you just can't help but smile at.

No comments: